Friday, May 15, 2015

Colorado Springs Artist Profile: Neil Fenton


Speak No Evil
In my last post, I talked a little about the history of fine art in my hometown. What prompted the idea were recent web design clients who wanted to create websites to feature their art. I can say with absolute candor that these projects were an honor for me. It can't be helped: I hold a special reverence for artists which I will say a bit more about below.

Back to what inspired my writing this, both my recent website design projects are for artists whose work I greatly respect. I will talk about both, but for this blog post, I want to focus on the first person who came to me, Neil Fenton, a painter whose work was featured in various venues around Colorado Springs. To my (admittedly non-professional) eye
his paintings are striking, compelling.

My own view is that much of the impact of Fenton's work lies in his use of light and shadow, which bolster the emotions conveyed by the expressions of the faces, and poses of the bodies therein depicted. I think his work is astonishing. But lest my praise be taken as being merely the reaction of an unsophisticated palate, this is not the first blog to acknowledge Fenton's talent. The "ModBo" blog, ("ModBo" stands for "Modern Bohemian") wrote nicely about Fenton's show featuring his portraiture.
 

I have always been envious of those with bona fide artistic talent. This is not to say that I myself am entirely devoid of all talent, artistically. I can paint and draw a little and my little creations aren't awful, and yet I am self-reflective and honest enough to see others have that true spark.
Frightening Yeti
My feeling on the matter is that genuine talent is something rare and special and bestowed upon a person. It is that notion of bestowal, and perhaps even our collective intuition which leads us to refer to people with this artistic touch as being "gifted."



If you are wanting (understandably) to see more of Neil's work, you can visit the SPQR just to the south of Acacia Park (17B East Bijou). There is a treasure trove of pieces, not only paintings, but photographs and other media down there. It is astonishing the level of talent with which our little community is blessed.

 
To contact Sean Alden Fitzgerald of Local Reach Mktg in Colorado Springs:

FB: SeanAldenFitzgerald
Google+: SeanAldenFitzgerald
Twitter: SeanAldenF
Instagram: SeanAldenFitzgerald
Pinterest: SeanAldenFitzgerald
LinkedIn: SeanAldenFitzgerald
About.Me: SeanAldenFitzgerald
Wordpress: SeanAldenFitzgerald
Medium: SeanAldenFitzgerald
Tumblr: SeanAldenFitgerald
YouTube: SeanAldenFitzgerald

No comments:

Post a Comment